I recently completed a free PDF e-book: U. S. Census Pathfinder.
This e-book compiles available information from government and independent websites concerning the U. S. federal census. These resources will allow genealogists and historians to use the federal census to its greatest potential. Among the resources are
- authorizing acts of Congress;
- enumeration instructions;
- original (blank) census forms;
- information about the original manuscript schedules held at the National Archives in Washington;
- links and descriptive pamphlets (DPs) of the microfilm editions;
- links to free and pay sources for digital images;
- statistical compendia; and
- explanatory or background articles.
If you use the federal census in your research—and what American researcher doesn’t?—please use this to find the background material you need. You can find the e-book in the “Free Resources” section of my business website, or by following the link above.
Enjoy, and let me know what you think. What have I missed?